Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Carvin C2444 Mixer: How to compress a Group Sub Mix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Carvin C2444 Mixer: How to compress a Group Sub Mix
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote  

I have a Carvin C2444 board and have a single two-channel rack compressor. I want to experiment with running a drum submix and compressing the whole mix rather than comping just the kick and snare via channel inserts.

Is there a way to route a Sub Group through outboard comps/fx/eq, etc???
re: Carvin C2444 Mixer: How to compress a Group Sub Mix
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Welcome to the forum. I searched for the manual and will link it below. You should be able to take a group out from which ever subgroup your using and return it thru a return jack. I don't own a Carvin mixer but someone will have experience with this and likely answer shortly.

http://www.carvinservice.com/crg/manuals/C44-Manual.pdf
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote  

So I assign all drum mic channels to the Group 1-2 Buss and send that signal via Group out to the compressor. But the Groups outs are balanced 1/4", can I insert a mono 1/4" half way to get the feed to the compressor input (1/4" mono ins and outs)?

I was thinking that would work best then take the signal from the compressor and patch it into a couple of unused channels via the line in and assign those to the Main L-R mix.

Would this work?
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote  

More thoughts....

Instead of assigning the dry drum mix to the Main L-R buss and using Group 1-2 for the comped mix....I think I will try NOT sending the drum channels to the Main L-R at all.

Instead, I can send them to both the Group 1-2 and Group 3-4 busses. I can assign Group 1-2 to the Main L-R mix and totally control the dry drum mix independant of any other levels. Group 3-4 will NOT be assigned the the Main L-R and I would use the Group 3-4 send to route to the comp and patch back into 2 channels via line assigned to the Main L-R buss and use those faders to control the comped drum mix.

Oh, even further enlightenment.....I can save 2 Group Busses, 1 channel on the comp and another channel on the board by running in mono, not stereo. No need to run the busses in stereo.

I can hard pan all drum channels to the left so they would be on Group 1/3 and free up Groups 2/4. Group 1 would still be assigned to the Main L-R buss for the dry mix and I would use the Group 3 out to one side of the compressor and back into one free channel via line in assigned to the Main L-R buss.
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

There's lost of ways to patch it. But, it sound like you are going for parallel compression by returning both signals. If it's a digital compressor, you may want to find out the latency (delay) of the device. It's probably analog though.

I just want to throw in here that anytime you patch a compressor into anything but an insert of a ch. or group, you have to adjust the threshold every time the fader is feeding the comp. is adjusted. So std. setup would be to plug into the sub group inserts, if you have that. Sorry if you are already aware of this.

I've never heard of anyone doing parallel compression anywhere but in the studio but hey, you're probably a leading edge kind-of guy!

What kind of compressor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page