Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Questions for Carvin EM900 Users
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote  

Hi Everyone. New member and recent, 1st time Carvin product (EM900) purchaser.

I'm very interested in hearing from any of you longer term users of the EM900. Those who have been using them regularly for say a year or longer. I'm wondering if you are still having good experiences/results with them over the long term? This is important to me. Since these were launched under the Carvin brand in May of 2008 there's not a lot of info out there in terms of longer term reliability. On paper - the Carvin EM900 seems like it's way better than anything out there in it's price range (and possibly at more than twice it's price range).

I've already done several searches here & elsewhere for reviews and other info on the EM900 system and found enough information to go ahead buy one (I'm awaiting delivery at this point). I've looked into most of the other brands & models like Shure, Sennheiser, AT, Galaxy etc. and decided to give this Carvin system a shot. It was a somewhat difficult decision TBH. I really need to get this right the 1st time since my budget is restricted and I've recently become responsible for providing my own monitor system in my band.

I'm also new to the IEM experience in general. I had the opportunity to use a set of ear buds from a Shure PSM-200 at my last rehearsal and while they were not terribly comfortable, I was impressed at how well I was able to hear the band as well as all our vocals. Plus I was impressed by the total lack of ear fatigue compared to using floor monitors and dealing with our generally moderate stage levels.

I've read about the OSP branded version of this product. The seemingly earlier issues with the tight battery compartment door, the receiver's random mute mode issues etc. I figure these may have been due to a bad run of them when they came out. I'll be in touch with Carvin if I run into any issues, but I'd really like to hear from long term users if you're out there.

I have zero experience with Carvin products and in my searches I came across a fair number of what I can only describe as "Carvin Haters" who seemed to dismiss EVERYTHING they make or sell out of hand. I really want and need for this system to be as advertised AND reliable for the long run.

Thanks !!

- BC
re: Questions for Carvin EM900 Users
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Location: Ontario,Canada,Earth,Milky Way Galaxy ,The Universe

Welcome to the Carvin forums BCy2k !

I have the this unit and for the price it's going for it's really hard to beat.
I believe OSP sells this unit for $700 so Carvin's price is a steal.

You'll find that the ear buds are very high quality for an IE monitor system ... I bought a couple of extra sets just for playing tunes on my Ipod and cell phone .. I find the sound quality quite exceptional and for me , they're extremely comfortable and block out outside noise almost totally, depending which interchangeable ear buds you choose.

I haven't experienced any of the muting issues past units might have had and use them mainly for playing sequences and instrument mixes in the right channel and guitar and vocals in my left .. again , I'm very happy with this units performance.

I hope you have a similar experience with the EM900

Very Happy
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote  

Thanks for the welcome & input 1Gearmadman!

I hear you on the price. As I mentioned, money was a big consideration for me, but I also expect reliability and I'm happy to pay for that. It seems we always hear from folks who have problems, but not as often from those that don't. That's a hard thing to gauge & research online. How long have you had yours?

My EM900 arrived yesterday and I was able to test it briefly, but I too, was impressed and pleasantly surprised by pretty much everything about the system.

The ear buds really are one of the biggest surprises. As you mentioned the audio quality is right there. That and their isolation stood out for me immediately. I see no point in trying any other brand of buds for now. I can also see why you got some extras for other applications. There's really no comparison to the stock Shure buds I tried (from a PSM-200 system) and they're far, far more conformable. Quite a noticeable difference in every way.

As for the range, I wanted to try to push that just to see what it would do so I connected a pair of outs from my studio system to the transmitter and ran some audio into the EM900. Went with the frequency it came on out of the box, grabbed the receiver & put in the buds and started walking down my street. My studio is located in my basement. My front door is made of wood encased with aluminum. I went a good 150+ feet down the street, and while I did start to get some static - I never lost audio. It remained steady, loud and reasonably clear. I'm sure I could have gone even further, but I doubt I'll ever be in any situation where I'm more than 50 feet from the transmitter anyway, but I could tell this is a great system.

I'm definitely feeling pretty good about it so far. Looking forward to trying them with my band.

If the EM900 delivers long term, I'll be one very happy customer.

- BC
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Location: Ontario,Canada,Earth,Milky Way Galaxy ,The Universe

Well let me know what you think .. If there's a better IE monitor system on the market , I would like to know who makes it and for how much.
But for now I'm more than impressed with the EM900!

Look forward to your review. Very Happy
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote  

Finally got to use these in rehearsal tonight. I'm still getting used to the whole in ear experience for sure, but so far so good.

I'll be gigging w them for the 1st time this Friday. I'll follow up w more then.
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote  

The EM900 worked great on Fridays gig. Had one weird incident where they were overloading late in the 3rd set. Then a big overload happened (last song of 3rd set) and the receiver went silent, causing a certain amount of panic & dread. LOL

I toggled the receiver off & back on, and to my pleasant surprise it came right back online and after lowering my monitor aux it worked fine for the final set. I sent support an inquiry about this. I'm pretty sure it's mostly a matter of getting my monitor aux level set properly. I am still an in ear newb - but I can tell I'm going to like the them a lot.
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote  

Just thought I'd follow up to say that I've done a few more gigs with the EM900 and they've been reliable and rock solid performers for me. I can't find anything to complain about frankly. I'm unaware of a better system out there for this kind of money. Highly recommended. Thanks Carvin!
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Our band has been using ours for about a year now. Still going strong. Yea, they take some getting used too. Our vocals improved dramatically, which is why we got it. Kinda miss hearing the full dynamics and punch of my guitar amp (V3M) though.

The only negative has been that the receivers eat up batteries like crazy! And make sure you always have a fresh set for every gig, even if it's showing a couple bars of power left. We've had a couple set stoppages due to batteries dying. D'ohh!

Last edited by mauijet1 on Sat May 12, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote  

Does anyone know what the EM900 is? I mean, who makes it and what is the model of that manufacturer's version? Trying to do some research and can't seem to find an answer to this.
 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I do not know who makes them but buy them and if they are not for you send them back and they will give back your money. Its that simple. For the price they sell for, what have you got to lose? I don't know it to be a fact but I think NADY is the manufacturer.
 PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Seems like I read that in an old thread but pretty sure it is not Nady. What I can tell you is that I had a Nady which was absolute crap. I have had the EM900 for about 9 months and I cant imagine a system being better. It is crystal clear. Very responsive to graphic eq adjustments made on our board. My only advice would be to skip the Carvin ear buds. The new bass player in our band couldn't figure out why his new EM900 transmitter had to be cranked all the way while mine was only about 1/3 volume and loud. Sure enough it was his Carvin buds. I just use a $20 pair of Koss brand. Maybe just a faulty pair?? Not sure. But again, I can't imagine a better IEM system. Not just "for the price". In general.

------------------------------------------
Carvin GEAR:
x100B Series IV, Belaire, 80's DN612, EM900, TRx153n's, DCM3000L x 2, CS3, SC90
Re: re: Questions for Carvin EM900 Users
 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

seprowling wrote:
.. but I think NADY is the manufacturer.

Not Nady - was a company called OSP - but I checked their site and they are no longer in business under the OSP name.

http://acorn-designs.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=381

Our band has been using them for over two years with no problems. Great in-ear system.

Bodie
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote  

Test

Last edited by joecsalyer on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote  

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

What were you using for transmitters? Did you buy 4 full EM900 systems, or just 4 receiver packs (EM901) and 4 sets of earbuds (EM902)? I guess I don't understand how you could use them at all without the transmitter(s). Plus, if you did buy 4 full EM900 systems for $1k - that's a way better deal than I got.

I hear you on the 90 day warranty thing, but from what you've stated, the only thing that's not working is the backlight on 1 of 4 receiver units, which is a drag to be sure. What I'm also curious about is do your 4 units still work otherwise? Sounds like they do since you say you continued to use them after the backlight display failed.

I agree it's somewhat alarming that evidently Carvin is incapable, or unwilling to service this product, and evidently the manufacturer is no longer in business. Did you happen to ask wether they knew of anyone who could service them? That would certainly be better than nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote  

Test

Last edited by joecsalyer on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Like most electronic items, your going to have lemons which is unfortunate.

My band has been using the EM900's for going on two years now with no real issues. We use them at every practice (weekly or more) and at every show. There are 5 members in the band now and they work as good today as the day we got them.

Every once in a while you get in an area where some weird frequency will try and interfere but normally just a change in the channel and it fixes it. The transmitters are all rack mounted and sit at the mixing board which is usually anywhere from 50-75 feet away and I've never experienced any drop out. I don't recall any other band member having drop out issues either.

Bodie
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Hmm, the manufacturer must still be in business if Carvin is still getting them. Sad to hear the units may be disposable if one goes down.
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote  

Does anyone know if two receivers can be used with one transmitter? Or if that L and R is a pan control or rather a mix level control? (i.e. Turning it all the way left will put the left mix in both ears or if it will only put sound in the left ear bud.)

Looking to spend as little as possible so if I can facilitate 2 mono mixes per transmitter that would be perfect for the 4 members of my band who need a separate mix. Anyone know if this is possible?

Here's the example signal flow: (Will turning the L/R knob all the way Left or Right make 1 XLR input come through both earbuds?)

...............................Receiver 1 = Turned L 100% = Mono Mix (XLR 1)
Transmitter 1 --- <
...............................Receiver 2 = Turned R 100% = Mono Mix (XLR 2)

...............................Receiver 3 = Turned L 100% = Mono Mix (XLR 1)
Transmitter 2 --- <
...............................Receiver 4 = Turned R 100% = Mono Mix (XLR 2)

Thanks guys hope this makes sense or if anyone has experience with using 2 Receivers with one transmitter. Get back to me please!!!
Question

Last edited by sharchik on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

We use 3 receivers with one transmitter in our band. Not sure what the max is but 3 works great. The pan left will put signal in the left ear and center goes to both. We have used this system in our band for over a year and have had no problems. It is crystal clear.

------------------------------------------
Carvin GEAR:
x100B Series IV, Belaire, 80's DN612, EM900, TRx153n's, DCM3000L x 2, CS3, SC90
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote  

You can use as many receivers as you like but up around 10,000 the batteries start to get a little expensive..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio

Page 1 of 2
Top of Page